Sunday, July 12, 2009

C'mon, Bish, just 2 more!

As you've all heard by now, it appears that St. Thomas the Apostle is on the chopping block. And this, just as I was trying to find a good time to get over there on occasion this summer. Just as I was excited that perhaps Fr. Peter Abas would be saying Mass there at times (as he is at Christ the King for the next 6 months), these self-serving idiots wind up reccomending the closure of one of the few decent churches in this diocese.

This would leave a mere two places in the entire diocese I trust to go to Mass when I have my choice...Our Lady of Victory/St. Joseph's and, of course, at St. Stanislaus.

It also sounds like they're trying to destroy St Monica's. Great. Nothing I like more than ruining a beautiful church in favor of hiding the tabernacle.

On the plus side, I did get out to Our Lady of Victory for Mass this weekend. As is always the case, the music was beautiful, the preaching of Fr. Antinarelli did not sugar-coat a thing, and the church was reverent throughout the pre- and post-Mass times, and reverently focused throughout the liturgy.

Everytime I see a child receive our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament on the tongue (which happens quite often there!), I can't help but smile. I always want to shake the hands of the few parents around who raise their children with Catholic Orthodoxy at the forefront of their lives. And, I think to myself..."Brick by brick!" 1098 days, I suppose, and perhaps the diocese will be turning around.

-Arialdus

5 comments:

  1. The only positive that I can see coming from the closing of St. Thomas the Apostle is an even larger increase in attendance at Our Lady of Victory. Let us hope that if this tragic event does happen, that people will find their way to the reverent liturgy offered downtown (or St. Stanislaus, which is not too far from Irondequoit).

    3 days until 3 years until retirement.

    ~Dr. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then there were two (OLV and St. Stan's)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the closing of St. Thomas happens maybe we could put flyers on people's windscreen telling them about OLV or St. Stan's. I'll bet most St. Thomas people would have to go up Hudson Ave. to get to either parish. If they are closing St. Thomas then we "aren't sheep stealin" are we? Is "all fair in love and war"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah. Check out this blog and look for CIM "Church Improvement Mode". To make our churches more Catholic again. Little things can add up.

    http://truthbloggedhere.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea, choir. It sure beats these people becoming lapse Catholics.

    ~Dr. K

    ReplyDelete

fancy web counter
free hit counter code